Cast and fabricated Sterling with commercial chain. Approx. 6 inches.
Few things are more wonderful to see than an eagle in flight. When I look up and see this it reminds me of that wonder.
The body is cuttlefish bone cast, the wings are fabricated from 18 gauge Sterling.
Fabricated Sterling. 5 1/2 inches. Another version of the classic Dutch coffee spoon.
Reverse. Highlighting the bowl and the benchmark.
One more look.
Dutch coffee spoons, fabricated Sterling and 14k gold, approximately 5 1/2 inches.
These are the latest addition to the Dutch coffee spoon collection. They are meant to be “everyday” spoons, unique to the individual, and part of the morning routine.
The detail on the left shows the “vine” embellishment of one and the bowl of the other. On the right is the opposite end of each. This end is embellished with a 14 gold knob.
The reverse of both.
This one hardly seems fair to post as an original as it’s made primarily of commercially produced pieces (chain and swivels). I simply soldered it together. Nonetheless, I like the way it looks and functions.
The second swivel allows the fob to be changed out. This is one I designed for the chain. It’s similar to a heavier one I did last year, but its lighter weight works nicely here.
This image allows a full view of the components.
Some details. I purchased the watch new in about 1973. I remember paying about $5.00 for it. It was ironic even then.
One last look.
Just finished. Been at this one for a couple of years. Thirty-eight beads; about 15 minutes to make each one. The four large beads are about 9/16″, the small ones are about 3/8″. The total length is just under 19″. The beads are hollow, but it still has a little over 2 1/4 oz. of silver.
There are four large beads, six medium sized, and 28 of the smaller ones.
A lobster claw clasp holds it securely. It’s held together with a vinyl seven strand stainless wire, doubled.
It fits like a loose choker.
Fabricated Sterling. Approx. 6 inches.
This spoon has a matte finish. The reverse of the bowl shows the forging hammer marks. A riveted bail is attached to the end loop. It doesn’t really do anything, I just like the movement.
Here is the reverse:
Some details, both ends, front and back:
So here is my first try at this design. You’ll see it looks very similar to the one posted August 10. The significant difference is that on this one the gate doesn’t open. It was supposed to, however. During the final join (when the back was added) solder flowed from some of the previous joins and the gate piece became permanently affixed.
A couple of things went wrong. Here is the inner working before the back was added.
On one the gate is opened and on the other the gate is closed. Both the stop and the center dial peg joins flowed during the last join. I think the primary cause was my oversight in not opening the gate during the last join. The heat required to seat the back (because the bubbling flux kept the back moving) made the previous joins also flow again. Not good.
I know there are many lessons to be learned from failure, but failing still stinks. All that self-doubt, loathing, and cursing. I'd rather not fail. And this was just a piece of silver. In the failing moment nothing can be said to diminish the muck. A decision to start again, an adjusted strategy, and a first step is the way through the muck. And it really helps to then succeed (even if you must try, try again).
In this case my design was flawed. I redesigned and started over and it all came down to the final join. That was a tense moment.
Here is the piece in its current form:
It will be recycled into some other form.